Sunday, August 12, 2007

August 12

Hi,It's hot here. 102 today... same yesterday. Though it has been around a hundred for 2 weeks now, it is not supposed to end just yet. Scorcher out there. Been helping out my brother the last few days since he is on vacation in Florida. It's 115 heat index there, so that makes me feel better about being out in the hundred degree heat here cutting grass. Between three of us and some big mowers, we cut 9 lawns yesterday and 16 of them 2 days before that. That's some good hours in the sun there. Made some money to keep me on track and then yesterday I went out and spent some of it on an accent rug for my room. One of a few quality improvements to my room that will eventually graduate with me into my own appt. - whenever that is. As I was cleaning my room for 3-4-5 however many days that turned into, I noticed some apparent holes. New bookshelf and different dresser. Carpet had come out on top as the one I had was a cheapo one from 10 years ago that had faded in the sunlight, and become badly stained as there has been a lot of traffic coming in and through my room in the past 10 years. Joel, who was one of the three helping cutting grass, chose to take his earnings and turn them into a coffee table/games table with 4 little ottoman size seats under it. I must admit, the price was right and it is adorable. I think we both made wise decisions on how to use our money. You know how nice it feels to get rid of things... to donate them and know you won't have to dust, move, or look at something again. I can see how it might be stressful to some, but I have totally enjoyed boxing up item after item, not to mention, that I don't remember even owning half of this stuff until I see it. Yesterday evening, I took to the bookshelf. The bookshelf??!?! Oh my. Well, yes. When you see things on your shelf dating back to third and fourth grade, how can you not think it is in for a refresh. Plus, anything I donated was going to my mother's school's library and they would keep some and put the rest in a sale to benefit the library. How can you not say... away with it! to that. I was able to donate a very large box of books and now the books on my bookshelf only just fit instead of falling over, bulging, can't have one more book added sort of look. Joel leaves Tuesday, saddness. Will, my sister's boyfriend leaves for Huntsville, AL, on Thursday and I have to move out my brother and sister the following Saturday. It's going to get pretty quiet around here. I'm going to have to get cracking on that whole job thing if I want to stay busy. There is a job fair downtown on Friday that I should make it to if I know what is good for me. I guess until then, I can always supplement with odd jobs for 'Young Professional Lawn Care', the official title for my brother's business. I did a clearing job with them a little over a week ago and there happened to be poison ivy in there, oh did I not miss that stuff. Just a little dabbling on me and it spreads to over 20 places, about makes me want to take off three of my fingers. Gross. Itchy itchy itchy. Though I must say, I do enjoy not having to worry about ticks. Ok, off to morning endeavors.

2 comments:

TSOldtimer said...

OH, Tizzy! For it to be 100 degrees here! It's actually been lovely of late, low humidity and reasonable temps. I hate it! Fall is in the air and I can feel it closing its fingers around my throat. Too bad I love that season so much. I'm sorry you don't miss the ticks; we all miss you! Kudos on being rid of old things. That's one of my favorite things to do, and one of these days I'm going to go through my cute little house with no mercy! As a matter of fact, the kitchen could probably use a good purging; you up for a visit? ;-)

Monster Librarian said...

Tizzy!
Kudos on donating your books-I love you for that-I hate to hear when people throw books away...part of me dies!
I love room cleaning and sifting through the memory lane that ensues. However, I do have a box that I refuse to get rid of that has some of my old writings from 3rd grade on...I still have a paper I wrote on Germany in 4th grade. Half the paper is on East Germany the other on West...obviously before the Berlin Wall went down...a cool thing to show my kids (if I ever have them) one day! Yeah for cleaning!

Locations of visitors to this page