Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Substance

Complete thoughts aside, it's a whirlwind. How can I put two thoughts together to make a sentence or write words of substance (sp?) if I'm having a slight trifle figuring out where I am and what I'm doing next. Perhaps I need a calendar, a day planner, a schedule, a job, a guide, a pen and paper, receipt for my brain to exchange for a new one as this one seems to have something funny going on with it, a list, a routine, hm. Well, with the help of one of those, I shall put this life of mine to order.
Vignettes and realizations from Atlanta:
  • I'm not a country club person. Went to two of them, couldn't stand either. A full service bathroom that includes hair dryers, mousse, razors, shampoo and soap, pre-pasted toothbrushes, hairbrushes, and make-up stations are just not my cup of tea. No cell phone rules and dressing up being mandatory. The Dogwood Invitational - an Amateur Golf Tournament was taking place there this week too.
  • When you get to a certain age, repetition is inevitable. If I heard a story once, I heard it three times, within the week.
  • Buckhead is a suburb of downtown Atlanta, and you can only shop there if you have gobs of money that you want to throw away. Phipp's plaza specifically, where a tanktop is $350 and things that are 70% off are still about 3x too much more than I would spend on a good day. Phew.
  • No road in Atlanta is straight or flat. All roads must turn every few feet, go up and down 2-3 times in any given 1/4 mile, and the lanes must be tight, very tight. Atlanta has a lot of traffic and people use a lot of gas there. I don't like one way streets.
  • In the past two years, I have missed cherries, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, and fresh pineapple. I do not miss tea snack or having dessert/sweets all the time.
  • Palmetto bugs are gross. Their presence alone could make me averse to the Southeast.
  • Time change - Eastern, Central, Eastern, Central, Hawaiian, Central - drives me batty.
  • For as long as I live in my parent's house here, my room will be full of everything I own in life and thus have little actual living space available to me. I have a tiny trail that ends 2 ft. before my bed currently and I have to jump to my bed without going too far as the blinds for the window are just beyond the bed.
  • Private health insurance companies are bold, brazen, and scammers. In the words of my sister, "So they only insure healthy people?" Darned pre-existing conditions.
  • A stand up shower is a luxury. This past week, I had a sit down shower. Great! you might think. Well, it isn't really and I can tell you why. The tub only goes up to about 2 1/2 ft. off the ground. Plus, you have a hoselike device that attaches to the spigot and then ends in a shower head handle. When the device detaches from the spigot, it sprays water everywhere and needs to be reattached thus necesitating shutting off the water, reattaching, and then readjusting the water. You must sit the entire time. If you try to rinse while standing, other than it looking silly - no shower curtain - it splatters everywhere. I could go on, but that's probably revealing enough. I like modern devices.
  • Lunches and suppers can last longer than they do at the farm. 2 hrs is not a stretch for some folk.
  • Violette in Atlanta is an adorable French Restaurant. It reminded me a lot of the way I've learned to cook and the food and atmosphere were great. There was a piano player and the decor inside was perfect. A nice NY Strip Steak for dinner and Salmon Rillette with Capers for the appetizer was amazing. I had never had salmon rillette, but would have it again in a heartbeat.
  • Whole Foods has great taste testings on Saturdays, makes great sushi, is a good place to find cheeses - they have lots, including 20 varieties of goat cheese, and from there I found a yogurt called Brown Cow. Maple Yogurt, it was amazing. I'm going to have to see if they are here in my state, I'd eat it everyday.
  • I love hiking. Not a revelations, but rather a vignette. From Stone Mountain State Park, to Sweetwater Creek State Park, walking around Emory Campus, around their house in Druid hills, and just everywhere we hiked. Even on the way back at Old Stone Fort State Archaelogical Park for a viewing of a 2,000 year old wall. I'm inspired by the Monster blogger to link to sites to help demonstrate what I'm talking about.
  • Rummy is fun, but I don't like losing.
  • I need to create more time in my life to blog, as I like doing it!

1 comment:

Monster Librarian said...

I liked your thoughts...random and not. I like lists. :)

Thanks for the props for linking...I hate when people mention something than I have to go and google it...ah, technology has made me lazy. :)

Locations of visitors to this page